Too much has being said and written about the turmeric milk as Turmeric milk is now largely and popularly been termed as the golden drink in most western countries. The oldest memory, when I was child, I have of using turmeric which my mother used to feed me is that of taking it with milk. So here I discuss how turmeric when used with milk can be beneficial for various health problems and some common ways of preparing your turmeric milk.
It has been recommended by several schools of native medicine, including Ayurveda that Turmeric milk or Golden drink is very healthy for us. A simple search on internet on ‘turmeric milk’ will tell you about benefits ranging from decongestion to weight loss
Instead, I want to share with you an genuine way of preparing it, which I zeroed in on after trying several recipes advised by Ayurvedic doctors.
1. Take an inch-long stick of turmeric.
Remember that turmeric powder is never as effective as crushed turmeric sticks, because the chances of contamination in the powder are high, plus its efficacy is also bound to reduce during the heat-generating grinding process. So, take a stick of turmeric (the variety used in cooking; varali manjal in Thamizh) and crush it coarsely using a mortar and pestle.
2. Crush a few peppercorns too. The white variety is better.
3. Mix a cup of water with a cup of milk, add the crushed turmeric and pepper and bring to a boil.
4. Simmer for 20 minutes. By this time, the milk will reduce to a cup. This is the reason why I suggest you begin with a mixture of milk and water; else you will end up with a very thick, kheer-like drink that won’t be as soothing.
5. Remove from the stove, filter, add a spoonful of honey or palm sugar, and enjoy the drink warm.
6. If you are taking this to relieve a sore throat, add 1/2 teaspoon of ghee to the hot turmeric milk before drinking it. The ghee will melt and coat your throat, relieving you of cough as well.
This simple recipe has been used in Indian households for centuries to soothe an aching throat or feverishness. A sip of this hot turmeric milk will give you a good night’s rest and improve your symptoms by morning.