Instead of buying any product for yourself or your partner you can make healthy Lotion at home. why not try making your own vanilla scented homemade lotion with healthy ingredients, a scent widely purported to be an aphrodisiac!
This healthy homemade lotion has a long lasting fragrance, as well as making skin silky smooth.
Healthy Ingredients in this Homemade Lotion
Carrier Oil – (Essential Oil)
Carrier oil, also known as base oil or vegetable oil, is used to dilute essential oils and absolutes before they are applied to the skin in massage and aromatherapy. They are so named because they carry the essential oil onto the skin.
One can use any carrier oil in this homemade lotion and they are moisturizing. All carrier oils have different benefits. I used apricot seed oil, but castor oil, jojoba, grape seed or even olive oil would work.
Coconut oil, or copra oil, is an edible oil extracted from the kernel or meat of mature coconuts harvested from the coconut palm. It has various applications
Coconut oil is an excellent anti-viral, antibacterial and antimicrobial, it protects against sunburn, blocking about 20% of harmful UV rays. It works perfect in this homemade lotion recipe.
Beeswax is non-allergenic (unless you have a specific allergy to bees! If so, do not use beeswax!), emollient, locks moisture into skin and provides a protective barrier on the skin from harsh environmental conditions such as extreme heat or cold.
Shea butter is an off-white or ivory-colored fat extracted from the nut of the African shea tree. Shea butter is a triglyceride derived mainly from stearic acid and oleic acid. It is widely used in cosmetics as a moisturizer, salve or lotion.
Shea Butter has anti-inflammatory properties, protects against sunburn, can aid in healing minor cuts and abrasions. It is also incredibly moisturizing perfect for homemade lotion.
Vanilla has anti-inflammatory properties, which can help to soothe and calm irritated skin. Anti-bacterial. Vanilla has been used to reduce skin infections and in wound healing.
Healthy Homemade Lotion Recipe
1/4 cup any carrier oil
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1 oz beeswax (either grated or in pellet form)
2 teaspoons shea butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Place carrier oil, coconut oil, beeswax and shea butter in a glass bowl or measuring cup inside a saucepan. The saucepan should have enough water in it that the water touches the bottom of your glass double boiler, but doesn’t spill out.
2. Over medium heat, stir the ingredients together until they are melted and combined. It will take a little while for the beeswax to melt.
3. Remove mixture from heat and stir in vanilla extract.
4. Fill your desired container(s) with the homemade lotion and allow to come to room temperature.
5. The lotion will have a balm-like consistency when it cools. If you prefer a creamier homemade lotion-like feel, simply beat it for a minute with a hand mixer.
Homemade Lotion Notes
This homemade lotion recipe makes enough lotion to fill one of these 4 oz mason jars perfectly. If you’d like to make more for gifts, simply double or triple the recipe.
Homemade lotion will keep about 3 months at room temperature, but as it contains coconut oil may soften in warm weather. If this happens, just put it in the refrigerator.